Re: Strange problem with network neighbourhood

> Please do not get carried away because of the subject. My problem is
> very much linux dependent. Out here at my office I two LAN networks
> 192.168.1.* and 164.164.69.* Both the networks are comprised mostly of
> Win 95 m/cs, NT and some Linux m/c s. The gateway m/c runs Linux (RH
> 5.2). On this m/c neither smbd nor nmbd is enabled. In spit of this I am
> able to see machines belonging to the 164.164.69.* network in the n/w
> neighbourhood of 192.168.1.*.

You are right ! m/c's across routers cannot be seen in the network
neighbourhood. are you sure that these m/c's are on different segments as
well as on different IP network.
what i mean to say is that  the same segment could be carrying different IP
networks; inthis case all your win 95 systems across the ip networks would
be visible.

r u running WINS and also logging on to one PDC ???

> Could somebody please tell me what is going on ? I made the assumption
> that Win m/c s on a n/w X could see m/cs on a network Y only if the
> gateway was running smbd (or something similar).

hoping you'll get a few hints as to where the problem could lie.

regards,
Umesh Chavan
LTITL
Don't do it the HARD way ,