Re: Strange problem with network neighbourhood

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Ghins Mathai wrote:

> 192.168.1.* and 164.164.69.* Both the networks are comprised mostly of
> Win 95 m/cs, NT and some Linux m/c s. The gateway m/c runs Linux (RH
> 5.2). On this m/c neither smbd nor nmbd is enabled. In spit of this I am
> able to see machines belonging to the 164.164.69.* network in the n/w
> neighbourhood of 192.168.1.*.
> Could somebody please tell me what is going on ? I made the assumption
> that Win m/c s on a n/w X could see m/cs on a network Y only if the
> gateway was running smbd (or something similar).

Nope ur assumption is wrong, gateway running smbd/nmd has got nothing to
do with cross network browsing. It is the winNT that is doing this. winNT
that acts as PDM(primary domain master) exchange the browsing information
from one PDM to another. That is the reason U are seeing the hosts on both
network. Ur linux host has got nothing to do with this, this will just
work as gateway. And if smb/nmb is running on linux host, and if his is
bound to one device, then linux host will be seen on that network alone,
and nothing more. Hope I am clear, also look
/usr/doc/samba-xxx/BROWSING.TXT

- -Chetan S
______
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw