Re: crypt system call

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Kousik Bera wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am porting some c++ program from Solaris to Linux. One module uses the
> system call 'crypt'.
> When I try to compile the source, the linker(ld) is unable to link the
> 'crypt' code from the

crypt is not a system call, just a library function, I didnot compiled ur
program, but sure that U need to link crypt library.
gcc ur_c_code.c -lcrpyt
Will surly work.
Hey ppl on list, why is crypt is moved of libc. libc 5
has crypt with it, and gnulibc has a saperate library for crypt. Why ??

> call. There is no /etc/shadow file. /etc/passwd file is there, and all

U have to use 'pwconv' command to  everything to the shadow password
format. This will create shadow passwd file.
And pwunconv back to normal.

> users and their encrypted passwords are listed there.
> So I guess Shadow-Password suite is not installed on my system.
> I am attaching a simple C test code and the linker output. Why 'crypt'
> call is giving this problem? If crypt call can't be used, are there any
> alternative method for password authentication programatically?
> BTW if I want to know, what is the source code name for say "cp", are
> there any way to find this info?

Assuming U are running RH

rpm -q -f `which cp`
Will give U an rpm file, say fileutils-3.16-9. now
fileutils-3.16-9-src.rpm is the source file, just get that from net.

- -Chetan S

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw