RE: Reg Intel Processors

> Their new strategy is to change motherboard designs completely. Little
> more than one year back I bought a P133 which was almost a standard at
> that time. Today when I upgraded I also had to upgrade my motherboard to
> a slot 1.

The Slot 1 has actually been around for quite a while. Even AMD and Cyrix
admit that Socket 7 has gone about as far as it could.

The "strategy" of changing motherboard designs does not come from Intel - it
comes from motherboard designers. The PII motherboards Intel brought out are
remarkably similar to the P1's they had earlier - apart from Slot 1, of
course. Slot 1 *was* required because the aging Socket 7 just had gone as
far as it could. Socket 7 has been around for more than a decade, and
technology has advanced way beyond its capabilities.

There is nothing wrong with continuing to use the P133, but if you want to
move from a country road to an autobahn, you need to change tires. ;-)

> I also belive that they are going to drop the PII and lower the price of
> PIII to that level.

That's already history - here in Bangalore, a PIII now costs less than a
high end PII used to cost.

Atul