Re: Xi Graphics avail in India ??

Regarding Yamaha cards , my experience is similar to Atuls.
One of the cards (brand name Mercury , I think) was so
simple to config under Linux (PCQ RH 5.2) that I recommended
this card to a friend. And could never get that card to work!

I also have an ESS1869 based card which worked perfectly with
RH 5.0 when I chose Soundblaster in sndconfig. In RH 5.2 , it
detected the card , but I could never get it going using
sndconfig. Fortunately , I had a saved copy of the old
conf.modules and it continues to work as a Soundblaster.
On the other hand , creative Soundblaster 16 was the
easiest card I ever used , under RH 5.0 as well as 5.2.

Have had no probs so far with SiS 6326 (AGP) and Trident 9750/9850
on RH5.2 (though XConfigurator does not list these cards, it can
be made to work using unlisted card) and I have tried at least
two cards of each chipset , bought at different times.

I also agree that the whole market seems to have the same card
at a particular time (some huge consignment, I guess). And you
only get the dumbest, cheapest hardware (at most GIDs). They haven't
heard of , or pretend not to have heard of , any card other
than the one they currently have. They only talk in generic
terms - sound card , 4 MB AGP card etc. A few may know the chipset,
but will push whatever they have very hard , without
knowing anything about it! I think there is definitely a
market for knowledgeable dealers.

- - Prasad