Re: Xi Graphics avail in India ??

>     Currently, I advocated having multimedia for every machine in the office (for sound
> feedback). I know this is not any big leap or push of technology like the above but anyhow, I
> felt like it. To convince them, I said. "Its not at all costly. Monitors with speakers cost
> +Rs. 1k and a sound card like *Yamaha* is ~Rs 850. Why not spend ~+Rs.2k on a machine?".
>
>     Well, if Yamaha card is /dev/nul, then what is the next best card for us?

I didn't say *all* Yamaha cards are bad. Please understand that most of
these cards are Yamaha *chipset* cards, not actually made by Yamaha.

There are specific models that cause problems - I propose that we should
document known trouble makers so that people can avoid them.

Unfortunately, I have been having problems with *every* Yamaha chipset
sound card I have come across, just like I have had problems with *every*
SiS display card. This is because vendors in India tend to move in packs -
they will *all* ship one particular card during a particular period.

My objective is to avoid the "Linux needs a lot of fiddling before it
works" perspective - while it may be possible to get these cards going, it
takes a lot of fiddling and fixing. On the other hand a card like a cheap
Matrox G100 or S3 or a cheap Creative Soundblaster 16 (800 bucks, last
time I checked) are recognised and work out of the box - giving a much
better experience to the first time user.

Please note that in order to succeed, Linux needs to ensure that it can be
setup/run by a non-Linux-Guru.

Atul