Re: significance of bits

"K.Muralidharan" <murali@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> =

> Can anyone tell me the significance of no of bits when people speak
> about 32,64 bit sound cards,128 bit video cards,etc.As far as I know
> barring the Alpha CPU, all are 32bit CPUs.
> =

If you look at a typical computer architecture, each component is a subsy=
stem
which interfaces with the standard buses. The subsystems can have their o=
wn #
of bits for interfacing with its own dedicated memory (SGRAM for graphics=
).
e.g. the CPU has a direct connection with the main memory using 32 bit bu=
s.
The video graphics subsystem has its own memory which directly connects t=
graphics chipset. This internal bus may run at 128 bits but the interface=
the main memory (using PCI or AGP) is always 32 bits in Pentium class m/c=
=2E =

The different system components are connected using PCI, ISA, AGP, USB,
Serial, Parallel, Firewire etc which are of different bits.

HTH
- -swaps