RE:

Slight correction - this is correct for video cards. For sound cards, the
number actually stands for simultaneous MIDI voices, not any bus width.

For example, the Creative AWE32 can control 32 voices simultaneously, while
the SoundBlaster 16 cannot.

The AWE64 is actually the AWE32 with software add-ons for the extra 32
voices. The SBLive handles 256 voices.

Atul