Re: Unable to Dial From my modem

Hi,

I have got a strange problem with my comp.  It is P-100, dual boot (Win95,
RH 5.0(PCQ)).  I have a TCP/IP connection with VSNL.

Some days, my modem (Boca 33.6K) refuses to detect dial tone, whatever
the init string is.  After much work, I got thro' this problem - not
technically, I don't know much about the hardware parts.

I just unhooked my main phone (hardwired to the telephone pole), and
dialed using my modem, and presto, it detected the dial tone,  and I
could get connected to internet!!  I don't know why it is behaving like
this.  I think it may be due to some h/w problem in my comp, because in
both linux and Win95, it is behaving alike.

My comp is an assembled one - and everyone knows how the customer support
of these people is.  So, I just kept quiet, and I was planning to go thro'
the working of modem etc. in detail.  As I am busy, I haven't got that
much time.  As this discussion came here, I thought I might just get some
solution to my rather strange problem.

TIA, sorry for this long mail,
Srinath.