Re: Linux as a file and print server -Reply

According to UDAY DESHPANDE:

> >>Uday Deshpande - ud-vsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Yes... Atul you are right. In NT you can not restrict home directory size.
> This is one of the main drawback of NT over Novell.
> If a folder is shared for one user & if that folder is in 2 GB Hard disk then
> that user can put data of all total hard disk capacity(i.e. 2GB).
> I haven't seen beta release of NT 2000 but Microsoft will be taking care of
> this problem in this release.
Many thanks for your response . We are actually having plans to retire our
Novell 3.0 server and deciding to go for Linux/ WIN NT as our file
and print server. This is the major bottleneck I see in migrating to NT
If there is no quota implemented then its impossible to restrict the
users homes. I have searched a lot on the web for free ware if there
is anything to implement this concept but could not fine anything
if any of you know of any such free ware please let me know.
Thanks again, nps
Even you can let  me if you know of these third party solutions
to implement quota on windows.., things have to be tried and concluded
to declare Linux as the ultimatet winner.

> > I am into preparing a document of a file and print server with
> > Linux / Win NT
> > I have a totally Linux/ UNIX background and am not equally
> > familiar with windows and
> > seeing a major bottle neck with WIN NT, There seems to be no
> > concept of quota ie
> > restricting the home directory sizes of the users created on the NT server
> > NT gives all sorts of security facilities to access / restrict
> > permissions
> > to the directories and the resources like printing etc .. No restrictions
> > to file sizes .. Can any of you confirm the same .. or am I
> > missing something
> > this is a major point when Linux wins , as we can restrict the
> > user home dir's with  immplementing quota on the home dir.
>
> I just checked with my partner Kishore Bhargava who knows NT better than
> most people I know (rumour has it that Microsoft has a dartboard with his
> picture on it). Here is his response:
>
> Atul,
>
> NT does not have the concept of quota. Its been a big problem for them for
> while and they do realise this. I am surprised though that new versions,
> patches and service packs have not yet addressed this problem. There are
> some third-party utilities available to implement quota's bt its definitely
> not part of the OS. I have not seen the NT5 beta but it may have been done
> there. You may want to check on that.
>
> Cheers...Kishore
>
> Atul

- --