Xserver on displays other than 0:0

Hi,

I am facing a peculiar problem with Xserver. Whenever I try running
Xserver on an alternate display (it's already running on 0:0), the Xserver
crashes (I think I am using the right word 'Xserver crashes'). My keyboard
doesn't work and I can't even switch to a virtual display. I have to
telnet from another machine and then kill all the 'X' processes.

I am using startx -- :1 to run it on 0:1. I was able to run Xserver on
alternate display on my previous machine. These are some of the details

I am using Xfree86 SVGA Xserver.
During installation, it could not detect my Video Card and monitor so I
specified all the values for them. Could the problem be because I
overestimated my card/monitor.

Thanks

Manas