Re: Document Prep using Linux (fwd)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> Hey guys!
> I'd like to know abt Latex and ofcourse r there any docs or books for
> learning it? Cuz as I can see from the emails on this list it seems to be a
> real good software.
> Jeff

1. Leslie Lamport: LaTeX--A Document Preparation System
2. Michel Goossens et al: LaTeX Companion
3. Michel Goossens et al: LaTeX Graphics Companion

item (1) for novice in LaTeX
item (2) for power user
item (3) if you want graphics in LaTeX

all published by Addison-Wesley and priced around US$ 18.

the fourth in this series LaTeX Web Companion will hitting the streets in
about one month.

if you really want to learn TeX programming you should read five volume
set by Donald Knuth (who wrote TeX and the classic series Art of Computer
Programing) called "Computers and Typesetting".

vol 1. The TeX Book
    2. TeX: The Program
    3. Metafont
    4. Metafont: The Program
    5. Computer Modern Typefaces

among these you really need TeX Book, if you want to be a power user.

all addison wesley and priced at US$ 49.95 per volume.

Patrick Dawley's A Guide to LaTeX is also helpful (Addison Wesley).

Bechtvonshein's "TeX in Practice" in four volumes published by Springer
Verlag is expesive (around DM 320), but a very nice series for power
users.

radhakrishnan