Document Prep using Linux (fwd)

TeX (and LaTeX, which is a set of macros for TeX) are document
preparation languages.  As such, they have only a command-line
interface, where you prepare your text with embedded TeX/LaTeX
commands, send it to the TeX processor to get converted into DeVice
Independent format (DVI) and subsequently render the prepared DVI
(e.g. convert to PostScript and print, or view on an X display).

There are GUI front-ends for LaTeX; I know of at least one: LyX (or
it's KDE incarnation, KLyX) which uses LaTeX to print out documents
prepared using a WYSIWYG front-end.  There may be others.

As far as I know there are no MS-Word (or MS-*) converters for TeX or
LaTeX.  I'd be glad to be proven wrong on this!

Finally, my personal opinion: while the learning curve for getting to
use TeX/LaTeX effectively is pretty steep, the functionality of the
package and the incredible quality of the final output convinced me
long ago that it was the ultimate document preparation tool.  You can
actually format the same text using any other tool (e.g. MS-Word) and
TeX and compare the printouts on the same printer, and you will see
what I mean.

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --
       Raj Mathur / Web Technical Support / Silicon Graphics / New Delhi
                  +91-124-349811         /    raju@xxxxxxx  / 551-7228
            http://reality.sgi.com/raju / Not necessarily speaking
           PGP: F2 D4 4A 21 27 B0 63 FF | for Silicon Graphics.
                15 97 9D AE 9D 40 BC B8 | It is the Mind that Moves