Re: [SHAMELESS PLUG] SGI to make XFS available to Linux

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 12:14:18PM +0530, prasad wrote:
> Raj Mathur
>
> > Tomorrow at Linux Expo in North Carolina, SGI will announce that it
> > will freely license its XFS "journaling" file system technology, a
> > core component of its Irix operating system, as open source
> > software. Effectively, this means developers will be able to
> > incorporate XFS into their own variants of Linux.

I'm a little skeptical:

- - Stephen Tweedie is already working on ext3 with some journalling
  capabilities.

- - SGI's license is unknown. It's unlikely to be GPL. If so, there
  could be problems integrating it.

- - On the technical side, file system code is very tightly integrated
  with the VM (virtual memory) code. And I'm sure VM in IRIX and Linux
  are different enough that significant amounts of porting will have
  to be done.

May be, I'm spending too much time on the net reading BSD Vs GPL wars.
I know for a fact that corporations are a lot more comfortable with
BSD than GPL. And both Linux and GPL have so much mindshare that any
Joe free software developer is going to choose GPL, without much of a
thought.

	-Arun

PS: I hate to make this a forum to discuss licenses. I will not take
part in any discussion on licenses on this list.