Mr Stanco on IP

This time around he actually sounds plausible :)

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-04-24-001-21-OP-CY

> But for all its past success, it is still logically flawed to extend the
> principles that work for physical things to intellectual ones. This
> is because the distinguishing characteristics of physical things
> (scarcity and exclusion) are not present in intellectual ones, and,
> therefore, the underlying rationale that support the old industrial
> principles are no longer present.

One could argue that real estate, gold and minerals were also not scarce
and there was no need to "exclude" the needy. All that one had to do was
to take a flight to Jupiter. If people can make money selling free software,
how difficult would it be to fly to Jupiter ?

I'd argue that there is an efficiency issue here too. By letting a skilled
developer spend her time on writing good code, instead of worrying about
how to make a living, one could make her more productive.

> Copyright 2001 Tony Stanco Verbatim copying and distribution of this
> entire article are permitted in any medium without royalty provided
> this copyright notice is preserved.

Hey, that license is only 3 lines long and it's a BSDish license. Oh no!

	-Arun