Re: Startup scripts: CUI Utils Episode I (The Prequel) ;-)

----- Original Message -----
From: Mayuresh A Kathe <mayuresh@xxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [LIG] Startup scripts: CUI Utils Episode I (The Prequel) ;-)

> > Maybe we can also ensure a better S/N ratio by not replying at
> > all to mail that really should have been on the Help etc. lists.
>
> Has anybody forced you to reply to mails which *you* don't find
> usefull?
> Just ignore it like the rest of us...

And that, IMHO, is possibly the most shortsighted comment I have read on
this list in the last few days.  This is a *general* list, and not a
helpline for newbies.  People have, at considerable effort, set up a
separate help mailing list, and one for programmers too.  Then why should
subscribers to this list be bombarded with all kinds of help etc. requests
which do not belong at all here, and just serve to clutter up our mailboxes?

Older subscribers may remember a time when there was just the one list, with
all kinds of stuff on it, ranging from requests for help on configuring SiS
video cards, to general discussions on Linux and open source.  That was OK
when the quantum of posts was low, but became a major issue after a few
months.  It was to reduce the "dynamic range" (if you can call it that), and
to ensure that every post had a fair chance of being read and replied to,
that the admins decided to split it into separate lists dedicated to
different aspects of the Linux experience.  Thus, any encouragement given to
posts that really belong on other lists will just serve to vitiate the very
reasons for providing the other lists.

Think....

Regards,

Krishnan