LINK: Linux on used PCs for Third World schools...

FROM BYTESFORALL.ORG

Subject: [bytesforall] miscellaneous
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 05:23:12 -0000
From: partha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bytesforall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Readers,

We have received a number of invitations to submit proposals, articles
and even to donate computers. Considering the wide range of our
readership at Bytes for All, we're forwarding these into the list.
Regards.

Partha Pratim Sarker
http://www.bytesforall.org

The World Computer Exchange, a nonprofit group based in Hull,
Mass.,is collecting Used PCs for schools in developing countries,
including Africa, Asia and Latin America. Founder Timothy Anderson
said the group will take "anything that will get the kids online." The
only requirement is that equipment be in working order and
Internet-accessible. According to Mr. Anderson, the Exchange
(www.WorldComputerExchange.org) has so far signed up more than 700
schools, orphanages and learning centers in 22  countries.
The first shipment of equipment -- about 380 PCs and monitors, along
with some printers, routers and other gear -- is scheduled to depart
for Cameroon in early April. MandrakeSoft has donated Linux
operating-system software and accompanying handbooks as well as CDs.
Mr. Anderson still doesn't have a green light from Microsoft Corp. on
whether the PCs can be shipped with Windows installed, but a
spokeswoman for Microsoft says the two are talking.

www.WorldComputerExchange.org

Bytes for All: Computing and Internet for the Majority of the World.

Post message: bytesforall@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe: bytesforall-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx