Re: Re: Response to Winux/Lion/etc.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

 |I'm less hung up about the name: whether it's called "Linux" or "BSD"
 |or "foo". I've noticed that people have paid more attention to the name
 |than necessary (Linux, GNU/Linux, Linux 6.2 etc). Ultimately, its the
 |values that matter, not the name.

True but to win the numbers game... you need a name ... and an image ... I
think linux + tux is a good way to go... I personally feel one reason why
M$FT Windoze won the market over IBM's OS/2 (inspite of OS2's better
multitasking abilities) was the lack of appeal/brand building.(A recent
survey shows taht M$FT has pushed coca-cola off the #1 spot in brandnames)

you need to realise that in todays world majority of the computer users
are the kind that buy a machine without looking at the technical
details... they are the ones that would not know the difference from a
celeron 500Mhz and p3 500 Mhz.
(Can u believe that people actually buy a computer so that their cat can
order food online... or you can say "what a coincidence your dress doesn't
match my computer!)

Yes values matter more than the name... but for 90% of the world computer
users values are non existant !! (they are the ones that don't mind
selling their soul to the devil! ref. see the MSN agreement posts on the
list)

I think we should just do our bit to contribute to the movement... and
anyways if you write posix compliant code... it will run on greater % of
OSes than the number of releases of Windoze xx that some of those GUI
churned out code will run on!

Didn't someone from this country of ours say do your job without thinking
about the outcome ??? :-) I think that is what we should be doing!

Kingsly

	        .:: Kingsly John                ICQ 14787510 ::.
            .:: Linux 2.4.3 #2 Sun Apr 1 00:02:27 IST 2001 i686 ::.
           `:. Posted to the list on Thu Apr  5 20:12:59 IST 2001 .:'