Re: [OT] Vijay Mukhi says ...

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Saurabh Garg wrote:

> I mean even God makes mistakes (Saddam was a huge mistake ).

Saddam was not a mistake - George Bush was. Saddam was the result.

> 	That said, some people here think they are GOD. If you suggest
> anything, you start a flamewar. This has to be corrected.

In principle, there is nothing wrong with a flame war. It is when people
try to win the flame war by resorting to personal attacks that things go
bad.

The online world *is* different from brickspace. It is an exercise in
futility to expect the same kind of behaviour from people when online
("safely" hidden behind "anonymous" identities) as one would expect of
them if they would discuss face to face.

It is also quite untrue that any suggestion starts a flame war. This
community thrives of suggestions and inputs from its members. The very
fact that we exist in such large numbers is proof of that.

However, there *are* instances where the suggestor himself triggers a
flamewar when he does not find his suggestions accepted the way he
expected them to. This is where the *suggestor's* "I am GOD, kneel before
me" attitude comes into play.

Note that *any* suggestion is subject to criticism. It *has* to be that
way, because only under the duress of criticism (or "devil's advocate
mode") does a suggestion prove itself worthy of acceptance.

It is up to the community to maintain decorum while this process is on.

Take the example of the current "CTO" thread. People had great fun in
showing themselves as "I am better than you" in criticising Thaths for his
note. Where do you stand now that the offender not only repeated the
offence, but has done so *again* without sticking to the rules? The
nay-sayers weakened Thaths' argument and position as final authority as
listadmin, and actually caused more damage that way.

I agree with Mukund that we do get upset very quickly when someone
criticises Linux.

However, I disagree with him that this is the persistant state of affairs.
There are very specific instances where the community feels the need to do
something about it. Mukhi's Meaningless Meanderings appeared to be one
such case, because of the context - in India, and blatantly anti-Linux.
The fact that he runs computer classes where he probably preaches the same
outlook makes it worse.

Flooding him with abusive email is only going to boost his ego, egging him
on to repeat his act to get more "fanmail"

But after a bit of discussion (and a quick look at history), all is well
again in the world. It is clear that the man has tried before and has been
handled, and is not really a threat because no one takes him seriously.

And so the saga ends.

Or it would have, had this thread not been turned into yet another
criticism of the way the community functions.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 3440397 Fax +91 (80) 3341137