Re: Good & Evil of Localization

     The fun part i noticed is that there is an
argument that, there is more usage of computers in
china because of chinese localization. I guess this is
part of the reason. But the primary reason is that,
they could afford the machines, they have extremely
good infrastructure to support the usage of computer,
which sadly india lags.
^^^^^^
the cost of a linux box is as low as $250 or less than
Rs12,000, which is easily within reach of the indian public,
if they buy in large enough numbers. cost is not the primary
reason here. systems that are more suited to indian public
are being developed.

As an after thought, consider a scenario where a
chinese guys composes a document in chinese, with a
chinese aware wordprosessor, then sends it to some on
in europe or US in a chinese aware e-mail program. Now
what should the recipient do. He has to
convert/translate it to his/her local language. I am
not sure if systems have gone this far.
^^^^^^^
yes they have. look at the http://world.altavista.com example
I gave earlier. why is it a curse if it allows a chinese person
to talk to an english person, without either knowing each others'
language ?

language translators for indian languages should be developed asap,
so you can send me a mail in telugu and I can read it in hindi.