Re: Re: Hindi and Software

> >the biggest example of this is china - in china internet connectivity
> >started 4-5 years after it did in india. however right now the chinese
> >internet user base is already 5 times larger than in india. i think
> >this is large part due to localisation - my chinese friends always browse

Why do we compare ourselves with others when it comes to using our
resources that we have? Its good to compare ourselves with others when we
are talking about improving ourselves, but when we are using the
resources, we should try and make use of all that we have, in our way to
the fullest, instead of cribbing about other people having the advantage
of more B/W etc.

> >the web in chinese instead of in english. the linux-chinese howto
> >has been around for quite a while and people are fluent in using chinese
> >from the regular keyboards.

It needs SOMEONE to write it for a start. Is there a Linux-Hindi howto? Or
even a Indian-Linux-howto? NO! We are basically going in circles on
the localisation issues. There have been efforts in this direction but
what needs to be done is that the efforts need to be collected for a start
and put up as a Howto with whatever minimal details are available.

> If we try to localize in Hindi than still there are many people who are
> not comfortable with hindi or they don't know hindi.

We are talking about Localisation. Not Hindification of Linux. What needs
to be done is atleast a start in this direction, which may be to localize
in hindi or any other language. Once things get started, it should serve
as a template / motivation for other languages.

> Take my case. I have learnt my 1-10 th std. in Marathi Medium in Karnataka.
> There I had no Hindi Subject, Only English / Kannada / Marathi were the only
> three main language subjects. I have never learnt hindi, though I can speak and read
> hindi because of my Marathi knowledge. :-)

$ soochi -poori -bahut_lambi
$ init paanch

;-)

VaibhaV