Re: Re: Re: Re: The LUGs in India

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, RaghuNath L wrote:

> > INot a single 'Communicating and Founding member' stood up for us
> > and defended us fully knowing that we were taken off from the
> > main LI page.
>
> What do you sat about this raju/thaths ?

Ridiculous. ILUG-Cochin has not been taken off the list of LUGs - it was
only taken out of paragraph on the main page that lists the LUGs that can
be reached by <cityname>.linux-india.org. If you check the chapters list,
ILUG-Cochin is very much there.

It is easy to attribute malice to my intentions. There is none. Please
refer back to my orginal posting when I announced
<cityname>.linux-india.org before you make statements like these. That's
what archives are for.

<cityname>.linux-india.org was my idea, and I facilitated it. But nowhere
did I say that I would allow such "endorsement" be used to boost one LUG
(or faction) over another. If I would, I'd instantly have half a dozen
LUGs at my throat from each city claiming to be the "official" LUG. In
case of valid dispute, I just killed this kind of "pseudo endorsement" and
let the factions sort their problems out.

For further information on this stand, I would ask you to refer to the
LI-REG discussions where the issue of "split LUGs" *was* discussed.

When the split Cochin-LUG matter came up, I wrote to Arun and Thaths. I
got no suggestions/recommendations, so I did what I deemed to be the
fairest way of handling things.

At no time did I point the DNS entry at any faction's page. I just set up
a neutral page and pointed to the mailing list. I *removed* the entry only
when the "gentleman" from Cochin tried to gain political milage out of
this.

IAC, this issue is a dead one. The current discussion is just an attempt
to squeeze blood from a stone. I have relinquished management of the
domain or the site. Find a new place to host DNS and the site. If you
continue badgering me with this, I'll just yank the whole circus off the
air - that will *force* you to do something about it.

I curse the day I ever thought of and started the
<cityname>.linux-india.org system - I should have known that no good would
come out of this.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 3440397 Fax +91 (80) 3341137