Re: [somewhat OT] Hotmail funda

the piece of news i posted was just an example for
various hotmail features. this can happen to any
e-mail account, as you say. but hotmail users have
been victims to hotmail features like lack of
security. time and again - almost once in a month in
Wired - we see some kind of bug in hotmail reported in
the newspapers. when there's yahoo which gives you pop
access, why should one opt for hotmail? the hotmail
service is too buggy to stick to for the sake of
convenience.

thanks for Saurabh for reminding me about Outlook
Express, the gateway of viruses. the same applies to
Outlook Express too!

when linux enthusiasts use hotmail and outlook, why
dont they get flamed or excommunicated? :)

(i've even told my friends that i wont read or reply
to their mails if they're sent from a hotmail account)

- Diwakar

--- Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@xxxxxxx> wrote: >
Diwakar Ranganathan rearranged electrons thusly:

> > i was surprised to find that some members in this
> list
> > use the notorious hotmail service. what drives a
> linux
> > enthusiast/user to use hotmail?
>
> convenience?
>
> > thanks to Frederick Noronha for the link.
>
> > Hotmail, the free e-mail service from Microsoft,
> is
> > divulging subscribers' e-mail addresses, cities
> and
> > states to a public Internet directory that
> combines
>
> Hell man ... Hotmail's been doing this at setup time
> (asks you if you want to
> be listed on their web based hotmail members
> directory) since donkey's years.
> Also, you normally do get subscribed to assorted ads
> from hotmail sponsors -
> based on that detailed member profile you fill up
> when you subscribe.
>
> Any third party, J.Random Spammer trying to harvest
> such a directory will not
> enjoy what happens to him when hotmail's abuse staff
> and lawyers catch up.
>
> > of receiving junk e-mail, known as spam, because
> they
> > overlook the check box. Once their information
> makes
> > the directory, it is easily obtained by
> advertisers.
>
> Hell - even posting to LI-* is hazardous that way.
> It's not rocket science to
> write a bot that crawls through webpages (say the LI
> archives) and suck out
> anything that looks like an email address (even
> random clumps of ASCII like the
> stuff you see at
> http://combat.uxn.com/great.contacts - generated by
> a script
> called "w poison").
>
> So, if you post using an address anywhere online,
> expect to start getting
> spammed on it.
>
> 	-s
>
> --
> Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot>
> org
> EMail Sturmbannfuhrer, Lower Middle Class Unix
> Sysadmin
> "What separates normal people from kooks is how they
> react when people disagree
> with them or tell them "NO"  <-- Ron Ritzman on
> news.admin.net-abuse.email

=====
GNU/Linux, for technical and ethical reasons.