Re: programming & linux

Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> Mario Da costa saw fit to inform me that:
> >handicapped coz I am a predominantly hardware person and never seem to
> >be able to learn programming :o(
>
> Come on Mario. Now where is the link between Programming & Linux.

Rajesh, Suresh,
I stand corrected. What I meant was software in general. Take the case
of one of my previous mails where I had a fetchmail -> sendmail problem.
Binand was able to find out what my problem was but I still couldn't
correct it. Of course I was in the process of upgrading my MoBo then
which would mean re-installing linux. So I took the easy way out,
re-installed and then got it to work. I read the fetchmail FAQ and
*tried* to read the sendmail man. The thing is I got hopelessly lost.

That is why I still feel that I have a long way to go. But you are
right. I guess adequete knowledge of at least some scripting language
would be a boon though. While you need not be an expert at least one
should be able to read, understand and modify a script if need be.

Also an explanation of sendmail, how it works, how it is configured what
do certain lines of code in it's config file do, how it interects with
other programs will be usefull. Suresh has done something in this regard
on his webpage  http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html and that should be a
good place to start.

my early morning ramblings,
mario