Re: Zope WebServer not ready for production quality

At 05:39 PM 3/5/2001 -0800, you wrote:
Zope is a great idea which is not quite there yet.
I wanted to make it work with MySQL, OpenSSL/ModSSL
and had a horrible time. I have fallen back to

Zope is an application server, not just a Web server.

That means something else: it's slow.

I ran a moderate traffic Web site (200,000 hits a day back then) for a few months using Zope and MySQL, and the experience was terrible.

Zope is a fantastic product, well worth checking out, but not meant for the high traffic area. Only static Web pages work there (Yahoo, ZDNet and CNet all work this way; any page that doesn't have a ? in the URL is static). The best place to use Zope is for something like the corporate intranet: low traffic, high inter-activity).

PS: Security is not Zope's only trump card. Everything excluding the speed is.

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://www.pobox.com/~jace