Re: how to change the prompt in Linux..any Fundaes??

Charudatta Phatak rearranged electrons thusly:

> hi! i am a student in IIT Bombay..I wanted to know how can one change
> the prompt in  linux? i.e, how to change its colour & may be make it
> flashing & change what is written? i know u have to edit .bashrc or
> .bash_profile but what are the exact changes one has to make?any
> help???

Assuming your shell is bash (there are other shells you can use ...) just use
"export PS1=[whatever you want]"

PS1="\u@\h:\w> "
export PS1

is what I use.  No fancy colors and such (my eyesight is bad enough as it is)

> Thanx in advance..

Thanks in advance for asking such questions on linux-india-help the next time.

	-s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org
"What separates normal people from kooks is how they react when people disagree