Re: [Announce] BAngalore Debian & GNU Enthusiasts (BADGE)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, RaghuNath L wrote:

> With utmost respect to you i disagree with your view on Dead Rat.
>
> It was just a Nick name for Redhat.
>
> It was not aimed at hurting any bodies feelings on list but sure i was
> bit upset by s"*"t .

OK, since a dead rat stinks, and so does s**t, it means that it is OK to
apply the terminology to other distros, using the same excuse as a copout?

I understand your need to clarify the stand, but *please*, let's assume
*some* intelligence around here.

The term "deadrat" is not used in *any* complimentary way, and was meant
to deliver the same kind of insult as "s**t" was meant to be. Eye for an
eye.

And I was around when that term was coined (around the time that RedHat
went public, causing a wave of nay-sayers). I also know who was the first
to use it on the LI lists, and in what context.

I am not endorsing the original "s**t" statement, but hey, I take offence
at other people's personal choice being insulted this way. Whether it is
RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, Suse, Caldera, or any of the other 189
distros....

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 3440397 Fax +91 (80) 3341137