RE: Signatories to the Declaration of Software Freedom

Atul Chitnis [Saturday, March 03, 2001 2:49 PM]

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

>> ... and the robber baron pays the artist a hefty fee (plus royalties) for
>> the exclusive rights to market the artist's songs (and the fat profits he
>> earns from marketing the songs), but that's besides the point :)

> In your dreams, my friend, in your dreams. ;-)
> Recording artists rarely if ever earn from actual sales of the
> song/disc.

I haven't seen 'em starving on the streets either - they earn enough (at
least the good ones do) to drive in limos and eat in 5 star hotels ;)

The hefty fee (a monthly retainer at least) does exist (and comes from the
money earned by the recording companies selling the dude's songs).  There
are also several artists (cant call one to mind right now though) who are
their own agents / distributors.

	-s