IRC at irc.linux-india.org

Listers,

Ive been to irc.linux-india.org last few days but I was pained to see the
empty user list. I did not see even a single user during the last three
times I visited it. I feel that most of LI* listers don't know too much
about the existence of linux-india irc.

IMHO irc is far better than mailing lists. O.K leave alone the exceptional
cases where one has to show large error messages or large configuration
scripts, but I feel it is always better for trivial matters (those which
newbies are most likely to ask). This would help keep traffic on LI* lists
down to more serious stuff.

I personally think that newbies feel shy to ask petty questions on LI*,
thinking that there questions may be too silly or might have been asked
before (the mailing list archive is there but tell me how many of u go there
before asking a question). Such questions can be asked pretty easily on irc.

Another point which I feel favours irc over mailing lists is the response
time. Ive seen people posting their problems and waiting to have them
solved,  just to see a mail asking for more information the next day. The
same problem would have been solved within minutes on an irc.

Ive been to some #linux channels on DALNet an EFNet and believe me they are
really cool with lots of people (even Indians) attending them. One problem
which I constantly face on these irc servers is connection denied due to
busy servers or due to "no more connections in your category" .As we Indians
have an irc channel for linux why not use it rather than going to Dalnet,
etc? I know that everybody cannot be there everytime, but I feel if we can
decide on some time slab say 8-10 in the evenings, when most of us could be
there it would help greatly.

Think about it.

Amit Gupta
agguptaca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx