Re: Experience the New Windows

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, dodobh@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sendmail? Please no. Try Postfix instead. Running on my local machine
> prior to being put on our production machines, and it rocks. Plus, its a lot easier to configure.
> And Linuxconf doesn't break it.

as you prefer

> Actually, couldn't this be decided at install time?
> A simple set of questions like:
> This will configure your email setup:
> Please choose one of the following:
> A> I'm permanently connected to the internet.
> B> I'm on dialup/intermittently connected
> C> No internet connection
> D> I don't use email.

that's like yast/dselect/setup  . you can have:
1> dialup isp is vsnl/satyam/eth/southern/....
2> no isp
3> permanent connecton on bad network
4> permanent connection on good network
5> i will only use hotmail (webmail) however much you show me fetchmail
6> I want a painless email service checking and sending mails every 5
minutes whenever I'm connected to my dialup isp and also fetch web pages
requested when offline and index that at 2 in the night

> Followed by specific settings per config.
>
> (This is implying that config files are dynamically generated)
> [For permanently connected hosts, fetchmail may run  from rc.local, for
intermittently connected hosts, it may run from if-up.ppp or something else....]

> Depending on this, the package might not even be installed.

that's cool, win users are good anyway at inserting the OS CD every now
and then

\Indraneel

--
http://www.indialine.org