Re: Experience the New Windows

Indraneel Majumdar spewed into the ether:

>> 3. A set of startup scripts / default configs customized for extra
>> user-friendliness
>
>so proftpd/portmap/nfsserver/inn don't start automatically but
>sendmail/wwwoffle/lpd do (with "auto" configured config files)
Sendmail? Please no. Try Postfix instead. Running on my local machine
prior to being put on our production machines, and it rocks. Plus, its a lot easier to configure.
And Linuxconf doesn't break it.

Actually, couldn't this be decided at install time?
A simple set of questions like:
This will configure your email setup:
Please choose one of the following:
A> I'm permanently connected to the internet.
B> I'm on dialup/intermittently connected
C> No internet connection
D> I don't use email.

Followed by specific settings per config.

(This is implying that config files are dynamically generated)
[For permanently connected hosts, fetchmail may run from rc.local, for intermittently connected hosts, it may run from if-up.ppp or something else....]

Depending on this, the package might not even be installed.

Devdas Bhagat

For Valentine's Day shop by Brand, Product, Price, Store and Location!
http://shop.storerunner.com/shop.asp?pdef=home&trsid=3080