Re: Experience the New Windows

While I agree with most of what you say, I'd beg to bring up my own
situation about an year ago (i.e. before I switched to my hot
550MHz/128MB/512KB cache box).

What I had at home was a 486/66 with 24MB of RAM (it came with 8MB, i
splurged Rs. 3200, bought another 16MB and was broke for a month).
That box was running both Winduhs95 and Linux.

Winduhs used to load up with Office97 et al and give fairly decent
performance.  I could actually use it and not have to wait for windows
to redraw, etc.

Linux with KDE was a PITA to use.  KDE was terribly slow, but I used
it anyway (being a Linux bigot).  The crunch, however, used to come
when I had to read MS Office documents -- StarOffice would take about
17 years to load up and another 25 or so to open any document and
display it (making a total of... go figure).

So Linux isn't necessarily faster or more efficient than Winduhs,
especially in the desktop space.  On the new box, Winduhs and Office97
still load up much faster than Enlightenment and SO.  Of course, I
could use a lower-end window manager, but I don't particularly like
twm :-) and we should be comparing apples to apples.

Regards,

-- Raju

--
Raju Mathur          raju@xxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://kandalaya.org/