Re: Re: setting up mirrors

Pavan,

mirrors (or high output bandwidth sites) are expensive
for individuals to set up, anywhere in the world and
not just in india .

that's why putting up a mirror site by a LIG member on
his own does not make sense, 'cos he'll have to pay
through his nose, without making any money.
i guess that's what led to the politics that Atul mentions,
although it's praiseworthy that someone actually tried this.
it's good to have had that experience in our backpack.

that's why it is important to utilize the resources
of universities, big companies, ISPs, STPs etc since these
people have bandwidth thrown at them at cheap rates.
that's the way the thousands of ftp sites all over the world
are supported. i think this is likely to succeed, if we give
it a shot.

failing that, we can approach the government on setting up
free servers. if they are paying billions of rupees building
a national backbone, they might as well spend a few lakhs
in setting up servers to host free software content so people,
especially students actually can make immediate use of the backbone.
IT for all is the government's stated mission, so why not take
them to task on it

peer-to-peer should definitely also be explored as it insulates
you from availability of ftp sites.
there is a project called OpenNap which is opensource Naptser.
the server and client are available for download from
sourceforge (about 350kb). if you (or anyone else) are interested
and if you have trouble downloading it, i can mail it to you.
there is also an opensource Napster protocol available, which can be
a starting point for you to write your own file-sharing software.

both are essential in my opinion. we need lots of local mirrors
as Suresh pointed out. and we need peer-to-peer transfers
to increase the bandwidth throughput even further.

the important thing is that the job gets done and in as short
a time as possible. i hope that we will collectively focus on
achieving that goal.

cheers,
- Ruchir