Re: [linux mirrors in India]

archan rearranged electrons thusly:

> sensible input..

I would disagree.  For several reasons.

> Atul Chitnis wrote:

> > Doesn't make sense - who would administer that? PCQ? Chip? We already
> > know that we don't have enough unity to trust ourselves with such a
> > task (and noone would trust us either) - remember linux.org.in?

*That* was scuttled because of huge, overinflated egos on all sides.  All I
remember of that huge thread is that your comment sounds a lot like "Mr. Pot?
My name is Kettle, and I think you are black".

> > How would one ensure that such a facility is not misused by the
> > maintainers? What kind of accountability could one ensure? And how?

Already replied to.

> > Additionally, a 2 MB pipe???? That's pathetic! What you need is colocated
> > machines at VSNL/Satyam/whatever. Doesn't ILUG-Bombay have such a machine

Failing that, dozens of smaller local mirrors.  Nobody has the bandwidth to
spare to donate huge colos, and run something on the scale of sourceforge.

> > dedicated to this purpose, complete with a nice fat 20 GB disk? Why not
> > use that?

You think 20 GB is fat, Atul?  Having one central server for all this would
make said "nice fat" box die horribly, I expect.

> > If not, I'd suggest that we leave things like this (that are high
> > expense/high maintenance) to companies who can afford paying for the
> > facilities and paying people to maintain it, and would automatically
> > ensure that it is not misused. If it *is* misused, it is money out of
> > *their* pockets - a good incentive.

Misuse it like how?  Stop raising bogeymen like this, please.

	--suresh

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org