Re: oracle for linux

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 10:22:04AM +0530, Mukund wrote:
>Does all the oracle user of the list share the same view?
>I am asking this because I am planning to install oracle.

Hi,

I have not used Oracle under Linux. I have, however, used it extensively under
Windows.

IMHO, most applications make use of hardly 10% of the capabilities of Oracle.
This is especially true of the typical custom software development that most
Indian companies are involved in. This kind of usage pattern hardly justifies
the kind of investment in hardware and software that it is required. Unless you
are foreseeing multi-gigabyte databases or extremely high user load you ought to
stay away from Oracle.

I would suggest that you use Postgres or Interbase instead. MySQL's lack of
transaction support makes its use inconvenient in a financial application.

regards,

Biju

Biju Chacko        | biju@xxxxxxxxxxx (work)
Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@xxxxxxxxx (play)