Re: Unable to Boot From /dev/hdd

are you people talking abut a extra hard disk or is
this discussion abut booting from a CD.. I tried a 20
Gb hard disk install with win2k and win98 on 2 other
partitions and after a lot of experiments and crashed
win2k installs I came up with the rescue.... here it
is:

1. create a 16-20Mb /boot partition on ur hard disk
and on being peompted where to install LILO specify
"first sector of boot partition" not MBR of
/dev/hda... the native and swap can be on the CD or
anywhere u want them to be (I havent tried the CD
thing and so I'm not sure if it's possible)
2. Next boot into linux using the boot floppy(dont
forget to make one!:).... mount the C drive which is
ur /dev/hda1.... then use this command to transfer the
boot files to the C drive
dd if=/dev/hdaX of=/mnt/c/bootlnx bs=512 count=1

here /dev/hdaX is ur boot partition and /mnt/c is the
mount point for hda1

3. reboot into windows and edit the boot.ini file by
inserting this line in the [boot] section

c:\bootlnx="Whatever ur distro is "

that's it shuld work

PS: if u'r not using WIN2K then u cud use Loadlin to
do this stuff as boot.ini wont be available....
do the dd stuff to the same directory where u have
loadlin executive and then use this command

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd init=3

assuming ur using the vmlinuz boot img