Re: Clarification on GPL

Sandip Bhattacharya proclaimed:
> 1. Does any software based on a library, which is under GPL(not LGPL),
> have  to be released under GPL too? Even if the GPLed library is nor part
> of the software distribution, but is marked required in the installation
> instructions. I mean the user is asked to install the library separatly?

The software which links against a GPL-ed library is required to be GPL-ed
too.  This is the viral nature of GPL at work.

> 2. Secondly, does GPL expect that the software is not modified and
> redistributed either in a more-restrictive or a less-restrictive license?
>
>  e.g. If I make a software using GPL stuff, do I have the right to
> distribute it under a BSDish license?(my personal favorite-true
> "freedom" ;)

Not possible.  GPL does not allow relicensing.  IIRC, BSD is the only
license that allowes relicensing under a different license.  You can also
take software in the public domain and relicense it under your favorite
license.

Thaths

--
Lenny: So, Homer, if we vote for you, what are you going to do different?
Homer: What am I, the answer man?  Just vote for me.