Clarification on GPL

Hi! I had some small doubts regarding GPL.

1. Does any software based on a library, which is under GPL(not LGPL),
have  to be released under GPL too? Even if the GPLed library is nor part
of the software distribution, but is marked required in the installation
instructions. I mean the user is asked to install the library separatly?

2. Secondly, does GPL expect that the software is not modified and
redistributed either in a more-restrictive or a less-restrictive license?

 e.g. If I make a software using GPL stuff, do I have the right to
distribute it under a BSDish license?(my personal favorite-true
"freedom" ;)

Thanks,
 Sandip

--