Re: Information for the Reader's Digest

Alexandria Barton-D'Souza proclaimed:
> I'm an editor with the Indian edition of the Reader's Digest. In our  March
> issue we are planning to run an article on Linus Torvalds,the creator of the
> Linux OS.
> The article says that over the years, Indians have helped Torvalds and a few
> continue to do so. I have copied below that part of the article. We would
> like to localize the article by adding a few lines on who these Indians are
> and how they have contributed to Linux. Would any of you be able to help us?

Alexandria,

Here are some of Indian sounding names I found in the
/usr/src/linux/CREDITS file:

N: Krishna Balasubramanian
E: balasub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
D: Wrote SYS V IPC (part of standard kernel since 0.99.10)

N: Arindam Banerji
E: axb@xxxxxxxxxx
D: Contributed ESDI driver routines needed to port LINUX to the PS/2 MCA.
S: Department of Computer Science & Eng.
S: University of Notre Dame
S: Notre Dame, Indiana
S: USA

N: Kumar Gala
E: kumar.gala@xxxxxxxxxxxx
D: AltiVec PowerPC support

N: Jaspreet Singh
E: jaspreet@xxxxxxxxxxx
W: www.sangoma.com
D: WANPIPE drivers & API Support for Sangoma S508/FT1 cards
S: Sangoma Technologies Inc.,
S: 1001 Denison Street
S: Suite 101
S: Markham, Ontario L3R 2Z6
S: Canada

They are all people of Indian origin.

Other Indians who have contributed indirectly to Linux include:

* Debian developers: Manoj Srivastava, Anand Kumria, Vaidhyanathan
Mayilrangam (and your's truly to a teeny tiny extent).  Debian is the
single largest effort to produce a free, volunteer driven distribution.

* Indian Linux stalwarts: Atul Chitnis, Raju Mathur, Gurunandan Bhat etc.
have contributed significantly to the popularization of Linux in India.

Thaths
--
Homer: [hurt] You signed my name?  I feel so violated.
Marge: You've signed my name lots of times!