Re: COMMENT: India's software piracy causes loss of Rs 900 crore annually

>UNITED NEWS OF INDIA, New Delhi, Dec 3 (Indian Express, Dec 4)
>
>TWO IN THREE software programs in India are stolen and the software

Thats too optimistic, If we take the ratio of machine sale to software
(mostly ms$) sale this could be 9 to10 or even more.

>piracy is causing an annual loss of more than Rs 900 crore in the
>country.
>
>These software programs are stolen either through hard-disk loading or
>counterfeiting, according to Dewang Mehta, president, National
>Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom).
>
>The results of the fifth annual benchmark survey on global software
>piracy showed that piracy losses in India exceeded Rs 900 crore at a
>piracy rate of 59 per cent.

The sample size could be very small or geographical coverage not proper.

>The survey, conducted by Independent Research for International
>Planning and Research Corporation, was commissioned by the Business
>Software Alliance (BSA) and the Software and Information Industry
>Association (SIIA).
>
>The continuing piracy problem meant higher prices for consumers, less
>publisher revenue to invest in new products and a potential barrier to
>success for software start-ups in India.
>
>"If software piracy continues unabated, the local Indian industry will
>be robbed of thousands of jobs, billions in wages, tax revenues and
>critical investments in new technologies," Mehta added.
>
>Mehta said many chief executive officers, information technology
>managers and general managers are aware of the civil and criminal
>penalties for use of unlicensed software. Yet they continue to fail to
>act.
>
>"Unfortunately, there are also businesses who deliberately install and
>use software without appropriate licences. They risk becoming target of
>legal action," he said.
>
>Software piracy refers to the illegal installation, distribution, sale
>and use of infringing software. If found liable under the Copyright
>Act, offenders risk criminal penalties of upto three years in prison
>and fines upto Rs 200,000 for the offence of copyright infringement.

Better said than done. I am still to find any one who is put behid the bars
for using pirated software.

>Nasscom and BSA would intensify efforts to stop this menace. "We will
>continue to assist enforcement authorities to initiate action against
>individuals and businesses manufacturing, distributing, selling or
>using illegal products as we have done since 1994," Mehta said.

Though nasscom and BSA are doing excellent job, but lack of legal teeth puts
their efforts to drain.

>They would also continue to educate the public and the business sector
>of the effects and dangers of piracy through seminars and press
>releases. Among other things, Nasscom and BSA have launched a reward
>programme which would give Rs 50,000 to anyone for providing
>information leading to successful legal action against companies using
>unlicensed software, Mehta said.

Now here it self the catch lies, what does it mean

"anyone for providing information leading to successful legal action against
companies"

any one can provide information, but how he can ensure successful legal
action?

>Anyone could give this information on a hotline, 1600-334455
>
>Their campaign would educate the business sector, the community, the
>distribution channel and dealers about the importance of portecting
>intellectual property rights, both for the local economy and for the
>long-term prosperity of India's dynamic software industry.(ENDS)

The bottom line is that to tackle piracy,
1. People must be educated.
2. Proper constitution should be in place.
3. The law enforcing agency should be trained.

The sole reason for slow linux (or other free os) is due to piracy, because
for the end user legal software and linux are same as both are free.