looks like your 'identd' is timing out.
If you are ftp-ing from A to B, please ensure that machine B has A's IP
address in its /etc/hosts file

for details, search the linux faq at www.exocore.com

bye,
shourya

Shourya.Sarcar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
_______________________________
Global Software Platforms
www.gemedicalsystems.com
Tel : +91 80 526 3121

#-----Original Message-----
#From: H.S.Rai [mailto:hsraidce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
#Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 1:35 PM
#To: linux-india-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#Subject: [LIG] Long wait for login on ftp
#
#Dear friends
#
#I instaled redhat 6.2 kernek 2.2.14-5.0 on pentium. I worked fine. I
#activated scheduled service for "locate" command. This slow down server
#miserably. SO I disabled it.
#
#Now I find problem of very long wait ( approx: 4 minute ) for ftp login
#from any other machine to this server.
#What may be the reason. Pl help me
#
#