Re: Free software companies and stock options

At 01:53 PM 9/21/00 +0530, Kiran wrote:
Harveer S wrote:

> seem to benefit them instantly, or tangibly. Support is one of them. If I
> were to go to a business establishment today, and try to sell them, say a
> financial package on Linux, and tell them that I am not going to charge you
> for the package, but for supporting it; then at most places I would be
> shown the door.  They would prefer to get pirated s/w, and get somebody who
> has been "educated" in some neighborhood computer center to do the things.
> Never mind about efficiency, or whatsoever...

Please rethink what you just said.

A business established will not agree to use free software and pay the
person who maintains it, but will agree to use free (pirated) software
and pay the person who maintains it?

Yes, just see the acceptability of Linux among the NOS segment given all the hype etc. about it.
(Source : PCQ User's Choice Awards - Sep'2000 issue p136)
While Win2k, being a relatively new entrant as managed to bag the top spot with NT as a second runner, still Linux manages only 11% of the total installs of Win2K. IMO, the reason is not hard to see. Win 2K is easily available (pirated), and Linux is also available at almost the same price. So, why are people _not_ converting to Linux? This has mainly to do with the stigma (or whatever u call it) with the "free" software - "Because it is free, it cannot be relied upon".

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda

---

Cheers !!!