Re: Free software companies and stock options

At 10:32 AM 9/18/00, Robin wrote:
How do you make money out of FREE software ? From support ? ...it
doesn't pay well enough especially in a poor nation like india. If you

Fully agreed.

sell it then you need to hire n number of lawers to ensure that all
you're linking to is lgpled not gpled.

As I read on some list (may be this or the freedev@topica), the main problem with the GPL is that it wants all the software to be "free". If you use even a bit of the GPL'd code, you have to GPL all of your code. So, that comes round to the point that has already been made on this list : It is not feasible to participate in Free software movement without having a kind of guaranteed and decent source of income - from developing commercial software, providing support, teaching - it does not matter, but having the bucks with you does.

If you use kdevelop then you gotta get a commercial licence for it I
think ( please correct me if i'm wrong). Is there any commercial
developer's howto for linux ? If not is this list interested in helping
draft one ?

as for street performer and other so called models - I don't think that
would work in india.Try to push a gpl clause on a client and see if
he'll bite...he'll probably show you the door the minute you bring up
the idea...something on the lines of..
you  :  "Dear Mr X I'll develop the package for you , but you have to
give it to your competitor for free ..."

Mr X :  "Thank you for your time and GET LOST you nutcase !!"

Yeah, considering the fact that almost anything that goes to increase the $'s is accepted as vaild in corporate scenario... So, I think that no company will want his competitor to have the software which it paid to get developed, for free. After all, it is a part of their business, and that matters a lot !!

Cheerio
Robin

--

Cheers !!!