Re: Free software companies and stock options

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:04:46AM +0530, ragu@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Arun Sharma is wearing a green tinted Intel goggle:

[ Ignoring a remark about my former employer, that too in bad taste ]

> >> "knowledge based industries" (which can't exist in RMS dream world)
> >> with revenues greater than Rs 1 billion can do so.
> >>

> Not everyone is interested in stock options.  What if I am
> remunerated in an other way ?

It wasn't addressed to you Rag00, it was addressed to the guy
who was going to start a free software company and give stock
options to participants.

> AFAIK RMS has never cribbed about
> making money out of FREE Software.

Yeah, just that he gives you a list of things you shouldn't make
money out of.

I find it unfortunate that many people follow him.

The only point I'll concede you in this discussion is that
people who believe in RMS philosophy write good code and
lots of it.

However, if you look carefully around, there are quite a few,
not so vocal, but very discerning software engineers who're interested
in open source software in the truest sense i.e. the one where you can
take software and use it for whatever purpose you want without worrying
about licenses and other legal crap.

> RMS world is not of dreams but
> the other way round..of gound reality. ;-)

Let's talk again, after RMS's stated goal of having a world
containing "free" (sic) software (in a way he defines it) and
"free" software alone. ok ?

	-Arun

[ I guess I've said enough in this thread and it would take a
really provocative mail to get me to send another mail on this
topic. No, it's not a challenge :) ]