Re: Re: [TwinCLinG] ILUG reps

[I wanted to respond earlier to Doc Partha's email.  But I was away during
the entire weekend and could not find the time till now.]

Nick Hill proclaimed:
> getting serious, i dont think LUGs should be formalised at all... As
> Doc Partha has rightly said, i dunno how much we're responsible fer it,
> but our country stinks of politicism. Everybody is always groping for
> whatever little power that can be grabbed.

Let me remind you that Democracy is a political system.  Politics has been
turned into a four letter word.  It need not be so.

> I'm all against any commitee  being a 'responsible' body for the
> activities... we ain't any franchisees here. we even went on for
> some time without a co-ord, and a moderator. i fail to understand
> their need, as far as the focus is Linux.

You are entitled to feel this way.  And this feeling should not stop you
from representing your ilug in the list.  In fact, such views are most
welcome in the list.  Please join the list and express these objections and
views.  The list is being created to discuss /if/ there is a role for a
nation-wide LI body.

> And, I agree with Doc, about his views of the closed mailing list used
> to discuss the policy. IMHO, a closed mailing list just allows for
> some ppl. on LI to just take the band-wagon as they please

The list is closed only to maintain some sort of snaity.  Most of us have
day jobs and do this in our spare time voluntarily.  If the discussion
starts going all over the place it'd be extremely difficult to hold a sane
conversation.

I have been planning all along to archive the discussion and make it
available to everyone at the end of the discussion period.  Somone
suggested that perhaps I could make a weekly digest of the discussion in
the closed list and post it to LIG.

> Even if the bigwigs out there are going to make a formal ventur out of
> poer LI, ILUG-HYD is going to be as it is, open, free, and _no policy
> makers_.

Part of the discussion that is going to take place in the LI registration
list is the question of autonomy of the various ILUGs.  Your and Doc
Partha's views would be most welcome.  Trust me.  I am used to being the
one who expresses conflicting views.  I know it is important that these
views be heard.

> If u've got rules, there's someone to break them.

That is one way of looking at it.  But if the LI body were to create
guidelines (Like The Free Software Guidelines of Debian) - a framework
under which the ilugs could operate, this would be minimized.  Look at it
like the framers of the Indian constitution getting together and discussing
the powers of the central government and the state governments.

Thaths
--
Marge: Besides, it's not just his chiseled good looks.  "People" magazine
says he's a devoted father, goes to church every week, and likes to fix