Re: winmodems------ huh!

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, vidhan pandya wrote:

> Out of the total modems installed in india half belongs to D-LINK
> which is based on Rockwell chipset. We all know that the modems based
> on that chipset are winmodems so does that mean that half the total PC
> users cant be able to use internet with their Linux boxes.

Hmmm, where did you get this information from? I only use Linux, and am
very happy with D-Link modems, which work perfectly with Linux.

You are getting confused with *INTERNAL* modems and *EXTERNAL*
modems. D-Link barely sells any internal (win)modems in India because most
people here seem to prefer external modems.

These days, almost every internal modem is a Winmodem, but by design, no
external modem can ever be a Winmodem (at least none I have ever heard
of). Since I recommend external modems anyway (bunches of excellent
reasons, but not a discussion for this forum), I don't see a problem.

And, for the record - Rockwell chipset modems (aka Glue 'n' Go
modems) don't make a Winmodem - the absence of a DSP and onboard firmware
make a Winmodem.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137