winmodems------ huh!

Hello everybody,
Today a news bout the modems in india really surprised
me it says :Out of the total modems  installed in
india half belongs to D-LINK which is based on
Rockwell chipset. We all know that the modems based on
that chipset are winmodems so does that mean that half
the total PC users cant be able to use internet with
their Linux boxes. With so much security given by
Linux, are we Indians really deserve to miss that.
I am really shocked by that news, and hope that some
solution will really emerge with time.
logging off
vidhan pandya