Re: Crackers -- what a pain in a** !

    Biju> hi all, Our corporate site (who's id I will not disclose out
    Biju> of sheer embarrasment) got cracked and defaced. It probably
    Biju> deserved it - it was hosted by some clueless admins on NT in
    Biju> the US. We'd already gotten blacklisted because of the open
    Biju> relay on it. I don't think the concept of security has ever
    Biju> wandered through their skulls.

Well, I guess the thing that NT/Linux/Anyother OS gets cracked is
essentially due to clueless/careless admins, who just don't get it !!
Unforunately for them, such things happen which leave a bad taste for
everyone.

    Biju> What irritated me was the content of the defacement. After
    Biju> the list of handles of the crackers was an image of Tux and
    Biju> the slogan "Virulent likes Linux -- why don't you?",
    Biju> "Virulent" being this bunch of clown's name.

I guess that was the worst one could to do to defame Linux. One of my
acquaintances on net had done this in the past and has gone thro (more
than) his share of
repentance, so neither will I take his name or name of the company
which got cracked. But that thing did leave a bad taste about Linux in
the company.

    >> From now till eternity, Linux will be associated with
    >> anti-social geeks
    Biju> in the minds of the suits that run my office. I might as
    Biju> well quit, because I'll *never* be able to get Linux into
    Biju> this office now.

Come on Biju, That was not what we expected from you :-) Maybe it is
time now started telling them about the positive side, rather than (
as well ) quit and make Linux look like a loser. No point in preaching linux to
people who already know it ! right ? It sure makes sense to turn
non-believers to believers of Linux.
Why don't you invite your colleagues to ILUG-BLR meets and let them
decide whether Linux is about anti-social geeks or about a Community
of Social Geeks who are ready to help ?
I hope my random blabber didn't go overhead as always :-)
Regards
                Khader
--
Recursion n.:
        See Recursion.

Syed Khader Vali (Siddiq)                                 - Linux Guy, LTC.
Encrypted Mail Preferred - Finger sidcarter at symonds.net For GPG/PGP Key.