Re: Linux losing out?

--- Atul Chitnis <achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> applications for the web, he just cannot find anyone (in Delhi) to
> program in PHP/Zope/Perl/etc.,

<snip>

> Any thoughts on what we (LI, PCQ, Chip, etc.) can do about this?

Hi,

PCQ and CHIP can do more to build awareness about PHP etc. But I think
it's important to do this at two levels:

a) At the developer level. Most programmers I know have never heard of
PHP and Zope. Perl may have been heard of, but thats it.

b) At the suit level. I was just assigned to an e-commerce project. I
tried to suggest PHP but failed. The attitude is:

* If I haven't heard of it, it can't be any good.

* Anyway 75% of the internet is running on IIS/NT (god knows where he
got that), so why bother with these obscure, fringe tools.

There is also the question of training. There is no where to learn
these tools other than books and your own system. And for a working
programmer, that makes it very difficult. Believe me, I'm speaking from
experience. :-( I have a lot of crisp books at home and a system thats
*very* dusty. I think that this is where the LUGs can help...

Biju

=====