Re: Aryabhatta [sic] Linux

--- Suresh Ramasubramanian <sureshr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nagarjuna G. saw fit to inform LI that:
>
> >Any of you following the press coverage of Aryabhatta [sic] Linux?
> >This is the hot topic here in ILUG-BOM list.  The way Mr. Vishal
> Gupta has
> >been talking about, being the first indian OS etc, etc, is making
> most of us
>
> This is the same company which touted "Aryan Linux" in Bang!Linux.
> They
> were laughed out of the place as a bunch of idiots, and now have come
> back
> in a new disguise.
Actually, they called themselves Aryabhatta then too.

> >here boil.  The so called first indian OS is nothing but RH 6.1,
> with a few
> >changes here and there. I will post the observations in detail soon.
>  The
>
> Specifically, PCQ redhat 6.1 (down to the DOSsy commands and support
> for
> sis 6215c cards)

<snip>

> .... and PC Quest as well.  It is _their_ customized Linux that's
> being
> ripped off so blatantly.
The latest PCQ has a good review by Kishore Barghava. As one of the
first people to cry foul (viz http://botsie.tripod.com/QChar.html) I
figure we should give them the benfit of the doubt. According Kishore
Aryabhatta is a mildly improved RH6.2. It is *not* a rip-off of PCQ.
They haven't done much to deserve there much-touted claim of being the
"first indian Linux" and being "specially customised for the Indian
User" but maybe they will in Aryabhatta 2.0.

However, considering the fact that they've tried to hide the fact that
they're based on RH and the fact that they don't seem to be paying much
attention to the GPL, I'm not optimistic. But I've decided on a
wait-and-see strategy.

Biju

=====